I’ve been injured while travelling, what should I do?


We always look forward to a holiday abroad, discovering new places and cultures etc. However, although no one wants it to happen, the risk of having an accident whenever you’re in a foreign country is always there.

In addition to making us feel as if our holiday is over and suffering from a physical injury that we’ll need to recover from, there is also a lot of uncertainty. Tourists will ask themselves what the process is, what is best advised for their specific situation and how the overall healthcare service is in the country they’re visiting.  

In this article, we’ll provide you with some tips so that in the unlikely case you’re involved in an accident abroad, you can act swiftly and efficiently in accordance to your personal interests.

Contact your embassy in the country

If you’re involved in an accident while travelling and you don’t have any information on the health cover in the country or your rights or even where to go, the first thing you should do is the call your embassy.

They’ll provide you with answers to all these questions and may even be able to look after you if you have to travel back to your country of origin, for example if your injuries require surgery.

Make the most of the European Community

If you have an accident when travelling in a country that belongs to the European Union, you can gain access to the different resources and services available throughout all of these countries.

One of the best recommendations is the European Health Card, which any European Citizen aged 16 or over can apply for.

This card will entitle you to healthcare assistance for free, and if you have to pay it will be at a reduced price.

Read up on the country’s medical services

If you suffer an injury in a foreign country, one of the first questions you need to ask yourself is about the quality of the healthcare available there.

In some cases, it may even be advisable to even undergo surgery in said country. For example, the traumatology treatment in Spain is recognised as one of the most advanced in the world.

This is down to the best health specialists currently working in the country.

Ask your medical insurance

When you have an accident abroad, there are two ways in which you can take advantage of your medical insurance conditions.

On the one hand, if you have medical insurance in your country, you should ask about the cover available for said situations. Many medical insurances cover foreign healthcare, including accommodation costs so that the patient can recover along with a friend or family member.

Another form of medical insurance is through travel insurance. This service is increasingly popular with foreign tourist and usually includes provisions in the policies related to accidents when travelling, especially when injuries require surgery or a long undetermined recovery period.  

With the right foresight and correct information, especially in terms of the medical resources available at the destination, you’ll be able to deal with accidents, even abroad, without any trouble. With MedicalHelp you can rest assured that we’ll take care of everything in the case of any injury or medical condition arising while you’re on your travels.

+34 910 869 152

+34 910 869 152